HOME       VOLUNTEER OVERSEAS       BLOGS

Thursday 7 September 2017

Salome talks about how this project has changed her and improved her confidence

How are you? (Muli bwanji?)
My name is Salome Kadazi but my friends in my team (Zombe) call me Salome Apples. I am the shortest girl of the group and that makes me look young, which I am not. I came from the northern part of the Warm Heart of Africa (Malawi), in a city called Mzuzu.
Today, I am going to share with you the experience I now have through team work with the volunteers. One of the experiences of the ICS project is working in a team, which requires love, trust and inclusion. Working in a team may consist of people of different race, behaviour, culture and beliefs. Just like in this project where ICVs are working with UKVs and we are placed in the same homes.
Being in a team of different races, lifestyle and culture it was at first hard for me to cope, but slowly as days were passing I had to understand and accept people's differences. This team work has made me into a person who understands, respects and accepts the other volunteers and other cultures.
My other experience is of the project itself. I now know how things run in a project, and that you need both cooperation and hard work for you to fulfill whatever you have as your goal/objectives.
Working in a team requires you to be dependent because most of the things that you have to do will require other team members to help. Team work does not need a 'mean' person. With this project I am more confident personally and in a group – I have built a lot of confidence because in the project I am often facilitating sessions, making speeches and I have even talked on air to hundreds or thousands of people.
I have a better understanding of leadership – when you are a leader, you have to be selfish sometimes for the good of your team/people, because sometimes you have to make decisions without consent of others just in the name of protecting/improving your team.

Lastly, team work improves and strengthens friendships among members. These are all the experiences I love. I hope you have enjoyed reading this just as I have enjoyed doing this project. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment